Minutes of meeting on Monday , April 9th 2018, 6:45 pm

The Gray Room, Nelson Hall, 5 Spittalfield Crescent, Edinburgh

Present: Joan Carter(JC), Deborah Charlesworth(DC), Ollie Glick(OG), Robert Hodgart (RH), Liz Logie(LL), Tim Pogson(TP) Chair, David Wood(DW).
Apologies: David Benyon(DB), Kaaren Houghton(KH), Philip McDowell.
Also present: Councillor Cameron Rose(CR) and 1 member of the public.

  1. Welcome.

  2. Police report. It was noted, with regret that Police officers did not attend. TP will contact them.

  3. Issues raised by a member of the public. An incident of fly-tipping was raised and deemed to require local management

  4. Minutes of the previous meeting.
    Matters arising: JC had met with the manager of The Doghouse and discussed the window display. The need for better enforcement of the 20mph speed limit was raised. More visible speed cameras and more road shows were among suggestions made. DW will compose a list of ideas and liaise with relevant organisations.

  5. Councillor’s Report. The newly formed Nicolson Square group is making slow progress.
    Arrests have been made in relation to graffiti crimes. Graffiti continues to be a major concern.
    Road resurfacing has commenced and will include some pavement resurfacing. TP will consult with Steven Blacklaw for clarification regarding bollard removal and the installation of a Zebra Crossing on Bernard Terrace. Legislation is pending regarding parking on pavements.

  6. Reports. Chair: TP has contacted all Community Councils re engagement with SE Locality Committee, and Andrew Kerr regarding non- attendance of police at meetings.

    Secretary: DC reported on window coverings on business premises, bank closure consultations, heating developments in new community developments. Relevant papers for the proposed distillery at the Engine Shed site have been signed. The upgrading of the Odeon premises is making progress.

  7. Meetings attended. LL attended the mini-conference “The AirBnB Phenomenon-how should Edinburgh respond to short-term letting “organised by the Cockburn Association. The reasons for the popularity and the well- known associated problems were acknowledged by a variety of speakers. However, no specific regulation is in place and this requires Government action. Full details will be on the Cockburn Association website soon. CR reports that following a meeting of a Government expert group there will be a trial of regulation leading to a policy decision eventually.
    JC, KH and LL visited the Swap and Reuse Hub(SHRUB), in Guthrie Street. This is a student initiative encouraging recycling, reducing carbon emission, food sharing and learning crafts. Further details of the SHRUB activities can be found at

  8. Southside Planning Vision. JC has produced examples of desired Community Facilities. Housing and Environmental Quality will be addressed by OG and TP respectively.

  9. AOB. Central Library campaign continues. See website for details. RH Timings at Traffic lights and pedestrian crossings continue to be very variable. RH will email more thoughts. Working group for Southside Corrider Locality Plan -SSCC will be represented by TP and LL.

  10. Next meeting. May 14th 2018